Wednesday, May 4, 2011

One of the Forgotten: Ceilings

If you are like me, there are so many things to think about first when designing a space.  And for me, the ceiling typically isn't a place where my design shines.  But I'm here to tell you that paying attention to the ceiling is an instant way to add a 'wow' factor, even if the rest of your space is lacking.  Designing a ceiling automatically brings your eyes up to a nice surprise adding drama and interest, or what I like to call a 'subtle design secret' (meaning that you don't actually notice it a first) or can make it 'go away' if it needs to i.e. ugly ventilation ducts.

For instance, lets take at a Wood ceiling.  If you cover up the ceilings in these photos, most look like a good space, some nothing special-- but uncover that ceiling and you have the wow factor!


Thee rawness of this ceiling is gorgeous paired with the crisp, minimalist cabinets.  Also note that the floor is painted so as not the steal the show from the wood!





Need this in my life!!!  Those pendents are major.
Honestly, could it get any cuter!?






This foyer is BE-yond! I'm loving this mixing of a little modern (concrete floors, abstract artwork, and bench) paired with the rustic (pendent, ceiling and credenza). Perfection!
  







And don't forget about a wood beamed ceiling:





 
Very simple design, but an example of a 'subtle surprise.'  I'm in love with that rug.





And my personal obsession, the Tin ceiling:


This little kitchenette needs me!  Very cozy and great lighting.

Great example of Prairie style, which has never been one of my favorites, but this one rocks!


Very eclectic, would have loved to have been able to see the rest of this kitchen.

Painted tile for a more subdued look.

This ceiling reminds me of my cowboy boots!  Very leathery.

You can't go wrong with those windows, but that built in table, chandy and ceiling are Ah-may-zing!


So the decor in this one blows (looks alot like a model home), but that exposed brink and ceiling are  a terrific mix!

Let's say that you want to make a statement but also don't want to invest in wood. beams or tiles.  Then you could always just pick up a can of paint!  Take a look at how these made such a bold statement:
The ceiling heights in the bath are probably pretty low, but with a breezy blue it looks like sky and much taller.



Ah-MAY-Zing!  I'd stay here anytime.




Let me just say that this small space couldn't have been done any better.  It's personal, has get details and very inspiring!








Images via here and here

No comments:

Link Within

You might also like....
 
01 09 10